iTunes Match is an iCloud-based music storage service available from Apple. iTunes Match stores your music in iCloud and allows you to play it from Apple devices like the iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Apple TV, Mac or a PC running iTunes. When you purchase songs from the iTunes store, or import CDs into iTunes, the music will be available on all of your devices and ready to play without syncing.
iTunes Match is a feature of iTunes in iCloud that allows you to access your entire personal music library.
Minimum System Requirement
iTunes Match Library Size and File Formats Supported
The iTunes Match service in regards to library size and file formats supported are as follows:
- iTunes Match is limited to 25,000 songs.
- iTunes Store purchases made with the same Apple ID being used for iTunes Match do not count towards the 25,000 song limit.
- Unmatched content will be uploaded as is; upload time varies depending on the amounts uploaded and local network speeds.
- Song files over 200 MB will not be uploaded to iCloud.
- Songs containing DRM (Digital Rights Management) will not be matched or uploaded to iCloud unless your computer is authorized for playback of that content.
- Songs purchased outside of the United States iTunes Store containing DRM (Digital Rights Management) will not be matched or uploaded to iCloud.
Playlists Sync Across Services
Apple ID Used for iTunes Match
Note - The Apple ID you use for iTunes Match does not have to be an iCloud account. If youve been using a separate Apple ID for purchases, that Apple ID will also work for iTunes Match. You should use the Apple ID that is associated with the majority of your music purchases.
iTunes Match Users
Anyone with an Apple ID in the U.S and select other countries can use iTunes Match. You also need iTunes 10.5.2 or later on your Mac or PC and iOS 5.0.1 or later on your iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), or iPad.
iTunes Match Music Formats
iTunes Match can handle the following music formats: AAC, MP3, WAV, AIFF, Apple Lossless, and more. You can match or upload music formats that can be played with iTunes.
iTunes Match Device Support
iTunes Match supports up to 10 devices, this includes your computer, iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Apple TV.
Note - The Savant Master Host is also considered an iTunes Match-enabled device, and must be included in the pool of 10 devices. Also, Savant leverages AirPlay therefore any Apple TV in your configuration does not need to count as a device.
Music Synced from iCloud to the Savant Master Host
Music synced from iCloud to the Savant Master Host is downloaded (not streamed) to an internal or external HDD associated with the Savant Master Host. It is automatically downloaded to the internal or external HDD or NAS associated with the Savant Master Host and available for playback.
Parental Controls Using iTunes Match
Using the iTunes Match and Savant Implementation for multiple residences or locations (Boston, Atlanta, Denver and LA), whereby there are four unique Savant Master Hosts that use the same iTunes Account
These individual Savant Master Host Controllers can simultaneously sync up with any new playlist, content etc. from the iCloud. You would need four Savant SmartSystems each installed at each location and configured with the same iTunes Account on the Savant Master Host. The Savant Master Host at each unique location would act as an iTunes Match-enabled device.
General iTunes Match Setup on End-User Computers
2. Under the Store menu, select Turn iTunes Match On.
3. With iTunes Match now enabled, click iTunes Match on the left hand side of the iTunes window and click either Add This Computer or Subscribe as shown below.
4. These actions will start the iTunes Match process, which uploads your local library into iCloud.
Savant Master Host Setup
With the release of 4.3.3, Savant supports iTunes Match on the Savant Master Host. Once the appropriate image updater has been installed follow these steps:
2. Open up iTunes and navigate to Preferences.
3. Under the Devices tab make sure the box labeled Allow iTunes audio control from remote speakers is checked as shown below.
5. While the Savant software is running, look for a remote on the left hand side of iTunes screen labeled RPM - name of your host - iTunes as shown below.
6. Select it and enter four zeros as the pairing code.
After the above steps have been completed, any time your iCloud is updated from any of your devices our software will download the new songs so that they are available for playing through your Savant System.